Quote:

I'd really recommend it. No matter your original opinion, it will give you something to think about.

He better be fair-handed and thorough, however, or I'm going to be sorely disappointed. I read part of a review (of The God Delusion), where he cites a "president of a historical society in New Jersey" as saying, "As everyone knows, religion is based on Faith, not knowledge." As a Christian who believes that blind faith is unbiblical, I have to wonder what the deal is here? Why is Dawkins quoting someone who apparently has never studied the bible to understand what God has to say about faith? I suppose it would make it harder for Dawkins to cricize Christianity, but its intellectually lazy on his part. This is like whywontgodhealamputees.com using Marylin Hickey as a source for understanding prayer! She's a Word of Faith teacher....I mean, if there's anywhere to go to understand prayer, it isn't to a WoF minister. But I digress.

As a matter of fact, I am buying The God Delusion on eBay, and I'll probably hit up amazon for The Blind Watchmaker and (just because) Letter to a Christian Nation. Apparently the latter touches on the topic of biblical slavery, which should be good for a few laughs.

Quote:

That's the problem with something that exists 'by definition'. In practise God is whatever people believe him to be. However the proposition of God being complex is simply one of many premises that are needed to be able to approach the matter in a logical, rational way. There's no sense in a non-complex being creating super complex things.

I guess I'll have to see the way Dawkins puts it.

By the way, how many of you fundy atheists are planning on picking this up?

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 02/11/07 18:31.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."