Quote:

Really ? In my country they managed to cancel the research on embrions on the assumption that a group of cells is a human being

Apparently scientists have no problem believing that very thing.

Quote:

You're sounding pretty demanding, nothing wrong with that, but I find it kinda crazy considering what you take for granted based upon what, just your faith? You claim your faith is not blind, still what makes this statement more than just a claim of yours?

I wouldn't be a Christian if I didn't believe there was tangible evidence. If someone comes up to me tomorrow and tells me there's a palace in the clouds filled with happiness and sunshine, called Surubell, and they expect me to believe them, then they had better give me good reason to believe them.

That said, getting into the evidence for my faith is more than its own thread. It would be like me asking you to list the evidence for evolution. Even if you tried to sum it up a bit more vaguely, then I could always question each piece of evidence, and before you know it we'll have done all the work necessary to write a book.

Quote:

By the way, blind faith or not, he's right with the quote of "religion is based on Faith, not knowledge".

If you mean religion (ie Christianity) is based on blind faith, then Christianity would be no more valid than any other new age crock.

Quote:

By the way, blind faith is infact something that does get promoted by the bible, there are several passages that state things somewhat along the following lines; "those who have seen and believe are good, those who have not seen but still believe are even better". (better as in a better Christian)

I assume you mean John 20:29, which says: "Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."

-Firstly, the word used for 'blessed', based on the context, means something closer to "How honorable are..." (keeping in mind that the hebrews had a honor-shame culture similar to feudal Japan).
-So, think about all the evidence Thomas had. The resurrection of Lazarus-the miracles of Jesus, and now the testimony of 11 men who he really should have had no reason to doubt. He also had Jesus' word on the matter, which considering Jesus' life, really should have clinched the matter.

Jesus isn't saying, "Blessed is he who believes despite having no reason to." What He's essentially saying is, "Blessed is he who doesn't ask for excessive evidence."

As far as faith in the bible generally goes, understanding the culture and times of the biblical authors as little as I do, I still can't imagine them teaching a blind faith. I could go on and on about it, but here's someone who will do it much better than me, and who will be much more entertaining.

http://www.tektonics.org/whatis/whatfaith.html

Quote:

If I am not wrong the "Apple tree " was the tree of knowledge
Adam and Eve did not commit any serious crime , not at least according to nowadays standard
They simply tried to improve their knowledge
Honestly I have alwayes found this part of the Bible quite embarassing

They gained the knowledge of what it was like to do something wrong, and this snowballs into humans murdering each other, until the world becomes so depraved and violent that God has to judge the entire earth. It was the knowledge, or perhaps one could say experience, of doing something wrong that got us in trouble. Once we had that knowledge, we were in trouble, but this doesn't speak of knowledge in general.

In fact, simplifying this by saying, "They simply tried to expand their knowledge" is taking this a bit too far.

They apparently were more than happy to believe God. It wasn't until the serpent lied to Eve that she wanted to eat the fruit. She lost her faith in what God had told her, and that was that.

Also, it was called the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, not the Tree of Knowledge. There's a huge difference, and when you consider the context, there's an even bigger difference than a plain english reading of the name of the tree might suggest to some.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 02/17/07 06:54.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."