Quote:

Quote:

the game sold around 15k units in germany in one year... that is around 5 times as much as a similar game in the same price range...

Do you mean that, on average an Indie programmer can expect to sell about 3000 copies a year ?
How did you get these figures ?
It does not seem so bad
Assuming a 20 usd selling price, 50 % for the publisher
The Indie programmer can cash 30.000 usd per game a year ?
Ok take off cost and tax
You can not make a live but not so bad

i've been in the development/publishing business over 4 years now, bringing over a dozen games to international markets...
the unit numbers i mentioned before were just for the german retail market, and that is in a rather bad shape.
a good game can sell an initial edition of 3k in one year. well, it really has to in order to qualify as a good game.

unfortunately your calculation with the revenues is a little off, the issue is way to complicated to be able to say you will earn 30.000 USD with one game. you have to consider distributor share, development costs, advances, licensing, branding, localizations, sub-licensing...

on the whole rather self-publish than go to a publisher issue thing:
if you have a good game with lots of potential and you publish it yourself you will most likely only reach 20-30% of its full potential.
think about it: do you want to make 10k with a professional publisher in the line of revenue share.. or do you self publish without sharing your revenues and most likely just making 2k with the same game.
publishing is no piece of cake. a fair share of experience, the right people to talk to, and a minimum amount of mistakes to be made are only a few requirements you have to meet to make your game a success.

if your game is good and you want to get out the best of it, just send out some applications to publishers. if the game is as good as you think it is you will get a good offer for the publication. if not you won't and you still can self publish it

we are always happy to look at new procuts! feel free to contact me at ice bytes.

@phemox: you are welcomed to do so!