I understand your point and you're right to some extent, however millions if not billions worldwide go to churches to get taught about their own belief. The problem is the massive amount of influence churches have on the christian religion. Even if what churches teach can not be considered as true christianity, the problem remains.

As for the global history of most religions, the churches throughout history did decide practically all what would be taught to the people. Right down to the bible itself, you can't look at that book whilst ignoring the church's influence on it's entire content.

In my humble opinion it's very clear all they really wanted to achieve was power and wealth. At times even right next to or together with political power (a bit like Bush now, not exactly separation of state and religion if you ask me, right?).

As for people going to churches, this seems to change somewhat lately (in the netherlands a lot of churches are rather empty now and this tendency hasn't stopped yet).

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software