When reading the bible, we're finding a set of stories by more than a hundred different authors that were written over a time of more than 1000 years. As can be naturally expected from a collection of this size, the stories contain thousands of historical and logical mistakes and self-contradictions.

Bible apologetics is a challenging game with the goal to a) re-interpret the text in a way that the mistakes and contradictions between the stories disappear, and b) interpret a literal meaning into the text (regardless of how it was really meant). However the attempts at bible apologetics on the internet only cover a small part of the bible mistakes. Even in the very first parts of the bible, Genesis 1 and 2, most of the blunders were not yet addressed by apologists or at least I haven't found them online.

I'm interested in a complete apologetics of Genesis 1 and 2. For instance, at the very beginning of the bible we can read:

"So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it." (in the Hebrew original it's not "expanse" but "vault" as in architecture).

This passage was written in 500 BC in the Babylonian exile, and obviously refers to the Babylonian creation myth where the God Marduk did the same thing (creating a vault and separating the waters below from the waters above). The Babylonians assumed that there must be water above the sky because of it's blue color, and because sometimes it falls down. The vault is needed to keep it up.

So the sentence is true in its historical context. However, today astronomy claims that there is no vault and there is no water above the sky. Astronomy even claims that the earth is a sphere, so there is not even a "below" and "above". So when taken literally, either astronomy is wrong or almost everything in this sentence is wrong today... or am I wrong here? Apologists, to the rescue!