Quote:

To think that this story is true is just silly, but I would be entertained to hear the christians' on the forum give a literal explanation. Please tell me how, with enough people speaking the same language, I can build a tower to heaven in my carpark (I don't have a garden, I live in an apartment, so the carpark will have to do).

They cant build a tower to heaven, you are absolutely correct. However, the Bible never says that they could, it only says that they thought they could. There is a big difference.

Quote:

And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
Gen 11:5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men built.
Gen 11:6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
Gen 11:7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

Quote:

God came down, and saw they really could do it, and therefore no longer need him, muddled up their language.

No, God did not say that he saw they could really do it. He said that 'nothing would be restrained from them'

If the whole world right now was united in language and purpose it would be correct to say that 'nothing could be restrained from us'

God did not scatter them because of the tower, he scattered them because of their unity. And it is the precise reason why mankind has never been united since.