the summer 2004 sdk worked! i have a monthly bandwidth limit and downloading 500mb packages can be kind of problematic.

i think i am almost done with the plugin part. i just have to know how to replace the mesh of an entity (any idea?) and some other small details i have to ask jcl next week.

supporting other formats would be more work (but maybe this can be done later). i think x supports two uv-sets and it could be loaded automatically but in my experience most x exporters are really crappy and i think this would lead to more trouble than it is worth.

my plugin will contain 2 simple functions:

export_mesh

this exports the mesh of an entity to a text file. the file directly contains the buffer contents direct3d needs.

import_mesh

this imports such a text file, creates a new mesh from it and assigns it to an entity. (this functions isn't fully completed yet.)

the workflow will be like that:

there will be a tool which uses the plugin. it will export both model versions (model1/uv-set1, model2/uv-set2). then a python script will be started which merges the two files into one file which contains a mesh with both uv-sets.

in your game you just will have to use ent_create() with the normal model and then import_mesh() to load the mesh with both uv-sets.

i could also extend my blender exporter to export this format directly.