Well.. I guess I don't not program..

That's a little innacurate. I have the time to learn it, like I had the time to learn other programming languages and if I end up getting mad enough, I'll do just that.

But supposing you had an idea pertaining to mechanical engineering.. would it make more sense to round up and consult established mechanical engineers or go get a masters degree in mechanical engineering so that you could build it all yourself and answer all your own questions?

At this moment I'm expanding my programming knowledge, and if I beat the punch learning it versus drafting a dedicated programmer, then I'll craft the entire shabang myself (though I wont be paying myself by the hour so it still wont take me 8 year to finish it).

I don't think anyone would give money for anything. But if I knew how to go about presenting what I have put together (des. docs.. visual aids, demos etc), I wouldn't be asking around to find out how everyone else went about getting the funding for their games.

That.. was my inquiry.

Mind you.. games can be bootstrapped, because they don't really have set costs, but this really can't be.

It costs money for the artwork to be done, the lines of code to be written, the server and client software to be written and compiled, and it costs money to be advertised. Very little of it can be winged without money, though I am carrying that torch as far as it'll go, currently.

It has costs for things that can't be avoided, thus the need to acquire the funding. Conversely, I'd be pretty foolish to expect it "given" because I need it.

If that were so, you're right, we'd all be pretty well off. My current dilemma (though it wont be much of one for much longer if my current pace of learning keeps up..) is that even the smallest of the small prototypes would take quite a bit of work and expertise, most of which (granted not all) I don't have.

This is not so different than any of your projects.. I've only seen one person build a game, start to finish (though what I'm crafting isnt a game..) by himself.

Though it was in terrible shape that still was a marvel, (for fear or reprisal I wont mention who it was or what game it was, but I think you all can remember a certain person who's game got thrown to the lions here, because it was.. well.. like jelly as games go.. though it was an impressive effort he put forth) in my opinion.. but an absolute rarity.

I think my point is that it's passionate, but woefully innefficient to go it alone. I'm sure I'm not the only one who agrees.

Mind you, I could. I have the zeal for it and I'm selfish enough, under the right circumstances. I'd even do it right, as I am a perfectionist at everything I do, and as my "baby" there's no way I'd put crap out there for the world to see.

I don't put the ICEman seal of approval on any of my models until they are done completely right.

But I'd rather work with a team of those who have a reasonable certainty of what they're doing in their field of expertise. I'd rather us build a relationship.

I'd rather dish out contract payment+bonus for outstanding product. Why? Because that's how entertainment software is made.

Bill Gates made Microsoft, but all its software products were made by his league of extraordinary geeks. Not just him.

As I have found, good troops respond well to money, and not much else. That part is a simple understanding.

Paid troops=hard work=finished, functional, well made product/prototype.

I.. suppose you could count my animated (not programmed) versions as prototypes, but they only seem to serve in demonstrating the idea.. very well too. I'm good with visual aids. my emphasis here is

I could go in front of an angel this moment, now.. with what I've crafted for it.. then build it all myself.. spend all his money.. pay him his principal+return+bonus (I do business the japanese way sometimes..) a year later.. and keep all the taxable profit myself.

I'd rather build this with a team, I'd rather build what comes after it with a team, but if I continue to have no luck in that effort, I most likely will boostrap-toothpaste-hammer-and-nail it.

I'd rather it not be my own personal infernal machine, though. Surely that has to make some sense.

Last edited by ICEman; 04/21/07 01:58.

I'm ICEman, and I approved this message.