i agree that if you have that! idea that noone had bevore and this idea will sell well. you should after checking pros and cons risk that probably. but be careful not to ruin your personal life for an idea.

@ fastlane: as for publishers i got offered some contracts and always there is some sentence that says like "if someone complains about the product or an damage to our image is done, you have to pay for that" i cant translate this a 100% but it works like this: image a company licenses your game, you signed such a contract, then a testmagazine somewhere gives the game 3% out of 100% possible and finds like 3 bugs in the game. this article is published. then imagine 3 customers complain about the game. further imagine your game wont sell.
this scenario is not uncommon.

the publisher can then sue you(at least in germany) for a) the money he possibly lost due to the image damage caused by you b) you have to pay for all copies the retail store sends back to the publisher.

now i dont see where there is a risk for the publisher? their contracts are made so that they have really zero risk, believe me. even if the game sucks they can come back to you and sue you for money. that thought in mind compared to the low revenues most publishers offer are really insane for a indie. thats probably why a lot of them go for self publishing online.