Quote:

Falwell being a racist was never an issue in America.

I could imagine, that black people and Hispanics would not like to be described as "God-ordained minorities".
Maybe they would like to be regarded not as some form of divine punishment for the white people, but as EQUAL human beings. And as far as I know this is what defined the struggle of Dr. Martin Luther King.

In the end there is no great difference between racism and religious intolerance, because both forms ultimately have similar goals, and lead to death and misery.

For me there is no moral difference if someone attacks other people because of their religion or because of their race. There are people who would say: "Jews are evil", and if you call them racists, they would say: "oh, how can you say this, no, no of course I´m not a racist, I just don´t apreciate their religion."

This is, why for example the Anti-Defamation League - despite being sympathetic to his pro-Zionism attitude - has condemned remarks of Falwell:

Quote:

New York, NY, October 4, 2002 … The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) strongly condemned Rev. Jerry Falwell’s statement that the Prophet Mohammed “was a terrorist” and called on him to apologize to the followers of Islam.

Abraham H. Foxman, ADL National Director, issued the following statement:
The Rev. Jerry Falwell has once again demonstrated his intolerance by his outrageous charge about the Prophet Mohammed. He owes an apology to the millions of good people who follow the Muslim faith. As a man of the cloth, he should be working toward bringing faith communities closer together, not driving wedges through them.

The Anti-Defamation League, founded in 1913, is the world's leading organization fighting anti-Semitism through programs and services that counteract hatred, prejudice and bigotry.

wikipedia

Quote:

As I said before, if you think that his statements are racist, then obviously you think that thousands of Christians are racists because there are many many Christians which agree with those statements.

What is a Christian? Is a Christian in these days someone, who just buys into everything, just because someone - who claims to be a Christian - tells it in a megachurch or on television?!
I´m not a preacher, but for me there is not the shadow of a doubt, that the true Christian message should be a message of truth, love and justice.

And if I have to read things like this ...

Quote:

In a radio interview on March 4, 2002, Falwell said of former President Jimmy Carter, "His message of peace and reconciliation under almost all circumstances is simply incompatible with Christian teachings as I interpret them. This 'turn the other cheek' business is all well and good but it's not what Jesus fought and died for. What we need to do is take the battle to the Muslim heathens and do unto them before they do unto us."

wikipedia

... I can only repeat: It is a tragedy, that American Christians follow such divisive and unholy preachers.

Okay, you say: "... he didnt lead Christians. Falwell only echoed what we believed."

I guess you are right here. I think he was a clever guy who did some market research, who found out, that most liberals had said goodbye to Christianity a long time ago. Then he found out, that "This 'turn the other cheek' business" wouldn´t sell very good in a nation, that loves guns and violence. He also realized, that human beings - as Sigmund Freud and human history confirms - just love to hate and kill each other.

Unfortunately that´s not, what serious religion is all about.

The word, religion, is derived from Latin, "religare", meaning "to bind together".

Sure, Mr Falwell has bound white American conservatives by simply telling them, what they liked to hear. But of course he has reinforced such views and there are so many, who run around in the www and repeat his message of hatred.

Unfortunately the truth is sometimes something, that we do not like to hear. There was a reason, why people threw stones at their prophets.
For some people it´s more holy to bash gay´s or muslims, then to make an attempt to understand this:

Matthew 7:12 In everything, treat others as you would want them to treat you, for this fulfills the law and the prophets.

Some people apparently see Christianity just like another worldly group, like a nation or clan, that has to fight other religions and all those, that are not members of this club. So welcome to the unholy crusaders of the 21st century.