Quote:

computer programs can evolve. look into "artificial life" and "evolutionary computing".

no. Im talking about a computer program left on its own, like a spreadsheet program. Like the possibility of a spreadsheet program evolving into a 3d game with no user intervention.

The types of programs you are talking about are programmed by people, which only proves they were designed. They were designed to appear to evolve. They dont even remotely resemble real life. Curent ai investigation could never even approximate the neuron ganglia functionality of even a worm.

There is so little understood about how real life functions on the molecular level, the complexity of the cell could never be realized by even the worlds most powerful computer. Primarily because:

1)computers are nowhere near powerful enough
2)we dont understand how a cell works at its most basic level

human existence as we know it will be wiped out long before any real progress in serious ai would ever develop. Any attempts now are only emulations, just glorified video games really.

Quote:

i think this will become very interesting in the next decades with more powerful computers.

I think it is interesting also. I pretty much think that you would need to move data at the speed of light, then you would really know where to move it and why...and that would be the biggest challenge..

Last edited by NITRO777; 06/30/07 01:26.