Quote:

All I'm saying is the more you know about life, the universe and everything through science the more religions have no choice but to become more abstract to keep their heads above the water when it comes to facts and truths, it's like you said, now it's already; "no, no, it's meant metaphorical" etc. That's actually back paddling at best, considering the facts and what people used to believe in in the past.

Well, I have no problems with facts, but of course some religious people seem to have such problems and the "evolutionists vs creationists" - debate is just the most obvious example. But I make a difference - and this is very important - between the message of the prophets and the actual behaviour of (mostly worldly-minded) believers.

And also my approach to the prophets is not: They are infallible, I must follow them, even if reason or love tell me something completely different. Time has changed, and of course we often do much better, than the archaic people, who lived 3000 years ago. It would be crazy to go back and imitate them.
On the other hand I don´t see, that modern lifestyle has always the best solution.

For me there is no back paddling at all and I think Jesus Christ and other prophets would welcome an abstract spiritual understanding of many Biblical texts. They were in fact often complaining about their worldly-minded audience.

But the Bible is a big book and different parts require a different approach. Some parts can only be understood, if you know other parts, so I would look for inner logic and a direction, a development of the ideas, I always try to imagine the context of the time ...

There is not one simple, single rule that can catch all situations.

But I keep it short here, this thread was intended to be another "evolutionists vs creationists" - debate, for me this is all very strange, because I don´t believe, that God can be found in the fossils ...