You bring up some interesting points. The one that started the universe doesn't have to have been all-powerful at all, 'creation can't simply be *poof* and there it is' and so on. I actually agree with you on quite a lot of those points. Problem is by definition "God" is claimed to be all those things or be able to do his 'instant magic'. That doesn't make sense, even if creation to some extent does make sense For example it may seem illogical that there would have been or are things that simply exist and that's it, no creator, no start, just existing.. But then again, there are all kinds of logic.

It doesn't take much to come to the conclusion that the "God" as it's usually is defined; allpowerful, doing his 'poof' creation and so on, is simply impossible...
I think the whole idea of creation is an extension of his ancient attributes. People wanted to look up to something that was huge, so huge that it has to be allpowerful and be able to create with the snap of his finger or even a mere thought would do.

Quote:

(Although.. I happen to think that the moment described in religious text when God said "Let there be light" might be what he said to himself (the same way some people working on a project often do when there's no one around and their in the zone) flipped the switch on his machine (our universe) and hoped it all worked and dominoed correctly.

The Bible may have meant it as such, and it is a nice metaphor to describe that something 'activated' or 'started' indeed. However, it's totally logical that this was written in a scripture as the Bible. That line is there for a reason and our language is actually limited, so yeah, it's not that strange that they wrote 'And then there was light' or 'Let there be light' (because we don't really know the original line anymore, it's one of the more famous lines that also has changed through time). Apart from that it's also subject to different interpretations, like many great parts and often almost cryptic parts of the bible.

It could mean so many things and this really only shows how limited our language is and how 'undefined' the line is. So.. although I do see logic in your interpretation, it could mean so many things.

Off course, then I haven't even started about why I think that the Bible itself can not even hold information about this creation, nor God because quite frankly it's impossible for a creation story to accurately survive being told in (oral) stories for centuries and centuries and centuries and so on... in fact, humans are a rather young species, especially the more intelligent ones, how come they 'get' to know about this in the first place???? Doesn't make much sense to me, why would we receive things that other species do not? Although we are currently quite different from most species in regard to intelligence and so on, there has been times where we were just dumb naked monkeys for million of years.... How does that fit into your picture of the grand scheme?

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software