Absolutely. I can fully agree with that. The most important part of a game engine is the ... you might expect it ... the game engine, the render kernel, scene management, lights and shadows, handling of models, animations, im- and export, sound handling, particles, execution of scripts.

So there is really no problem if MED is not as good as blender, Lightwave, XSI or Silo. We can live with that and just get another tool. More important is the render kernel.

But I wonder why I see in every new beta release only improvements of Lite-C. Did you see that Lite-C gets classes in the future? Let us think about it: Lite-C uses pointers, structs, C-syntax and soon it supports classes. Do I smell C++ here? Why should one research and develop several years to make a C++ clone? Why not improving the renderer in this time and just provide a C++, C# and Java SDK plus a LUA scripting port?

Gamestudio becomes a multimedia-programming-language.

As a programmer familiar with Delphi, C#, Java and many script languages I learned C++ this year to better understand engines like Irrlicht, Ogre and C4. And I realized that Lite-C just becomes something like that. At the end I am able to use all the other engines but with faster rendering, second uv-set, static and dynamic shadows and modern shaders.

I think this is dangerous for Gamestudio. It starts to compete with those free and cheap engines. You need the same amount of programming knowledge. Scripting is not easy anymore. But the renderer is not really better. The advantage of gamestudio to deliver all tools and provide a very easy scripting port vanishes and thus it should at least outperform the competition in rendering capabilities.

As a resume we see that workflow did not become better it could even become more complicated for scripting newbies. MED became more difficult in terms of texturing and uv-mapping, the compiling options for WED became more difficult and Lite-C offers way more traps for newbies in terms of memory leaks, wrong pointer usage, lowercase vs. uppercase and much more.

All this can be accepted if you get more performance and more options at the end. Ask yourself if that is the case.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft