Quote:

Even though I'm making the game in that post. I somewhat have to agree with them most of these games made from templates or well frankly look like crap are talked more about then some really well made games made from scratch.

This isnt only because of bad or good design , its because for example people know the person who made the 'crappy' game and respect him,and without thinking "is this game good" they say "Keep working,its great!". Another thing to keep in mind is that most of us develop games. We're looking at a game more from the mechanical part,instead of thinking about it as gamers. When someone thinks about an idea that is great , he is thinking with his gamer side , but its also what he likes...and he may be the only person that likes it
It depends , why people are talking about 'bad' games and not talking about 'good' games. The reason isnt only in design or style its about the 'human factor' too.
And , by the way , take for example Counter-Strike...not many features to hold on to 20-30 (I dont want to count right now) weapons and a money system,but people loved it and still love it and play it. Simple design , two teams fighting for a period of time,than its starts again...Its not only because each time it'll be diffrent (diffrent people , diffrent movements every round) its also because of the simplicity.You dont have to think about anything else except killing the other guy. Also , there are new versions , but people like the old ones. More people play 1.5 than the new Source (? I think...) The graphics are very diffrent , and also 1.5 isnt that smooth , but it grabs people more. So , (excluding the main topic about people writing) for your game to be fun it has to be carefully designed not to take peoples interest away. Think about what you'd like for a game and what you wouldnt.
Bring out "the kid in you" again and say that 10 levels for Temple of Elemental Evil cant even be compared to the cool 99 levels in Diablo II

Extensive Multiplayer tutorial:
http://mesetts.com/index.php?page=201