Quote:

fastlane , how many people are on your team? sounds like a very big project

For 4 years, it used to be just me. After 3 years, alone and in about 3 months of doing nothing else, I managed to create a viable MMO prototype that laid the groundwork for what we have today.

Then last year I got outside funding and an office and hired two programmers part time from local universities. For about two months this year I had 3, then dropped to 2, and right now I'm technically at 2 though 1 is in grad school and hasn't done much. These programmers revamped what we had and created the version we use today. So on average, I've had two programmers at any one time.

Since art and music is a low priority compared to actually creating the tecnical side of the MMO, I have always outsourced both. Here, I usually freelance people to handle these tasks. On average, I have about 5 people to help me with art and music.

I'm no storyteller, so I have used some of my funding to hire story consultants. This is a two woman team (The Writers Cabal) whom I've known for a while and they are currently helping me create a viable story for my educational game.

Finally, I have a game consultant (Dr. Richard Bartle) and a business consultant. The former is the grand-daddy of all virtual worlds and helps me with gameplay and virtual world design issues. The latter is helping me make a business case for my game so I can get more investment.

So in the last year, my team has been, on average:

CEO: 1
Prog: 2
Art and Music: 5
Story: 2
Consultants: 2

or about 12 people as part of my team though only the programmers work on this constantly.