Is your update cycle in a separate function or (as it looks from your last post worth giving some toughts) separate update cycle in every player action ?
If its separate function , there is one problem with your solution It might not be a problem for you personaly , but in more general form...When you reset the counter , an update is sent , but than your next update will come after x number of frames (as after a regular update). And forced updating is used to fill in the gaps between 2 regular updates...so , if you're normaly updating on each 4-th frame , the forced will always come on the second frame after a regular update. In your case , after sending a forced update , the regular update wont arrive 2 frames after , it'll arrive 4 frames after unless you set the 'update' as a forced , in order to send the next update after 2 frames as 'regular'.
But your post realy got me thinking I should experiment with updating cycles in each entity. Easyer to manage , I think...also gives some opportunities , to keep track of each entity thru local vars (wich are limitless number of skills in theory ) , to store movements and update only if an ent moved. The only disadvantage I can think of is , you cant use ent_next(ent) to cycle thru the other ents , to update each one to the 'my' entity,unless you could do 10000 ent_next instructions between 2 frames

Extensive Multiplayer tutorial:
http://mesetts.com/index.php?page=201