First a few pics, afterwards a few explanations, perhaps... hm... shure!

Okey, explanations now: I was searching for the best and fastest way to build a face in MED. Because my problem related to the contest is: I didn't build my model from the very ground. My philosophy 'Don't do anything that is already done' leads me to use models as a sort of prefabs. I add and tweak a little here a little there to complete the model to fullfill my imagination of his proper shape.

BUT this is against the contest rules! - - So, I was looking for short ways to build a face (as the most difficult part of a model) from the single pixel or from the modificating of a sphere or cube. Uuh! Maybe, I show you the results later.
In short: I had to investigate the roots of my models face: the face that I modificated until I got my 'hero/villian'. The following pictures are the mute witnesses(?) of the dicovered history.

This three pictures show a mesh that I found in a free download package years ago.
The fourth has exactly the same mesh only modificated with move and perhaps scale.
The red marked polygons show the most important parts of a more or less detailed head. It is not a line, it is a chain of squares. To me this seems to be the right start to get a well done head/face.

Look at the red marked faces(polygons) to get the improvements I did.

Mainly I deleted the faces that I wanted to 'expand',and copied the 'neighbour vertices', and moved them a little, and replaced the few faces with the triangling tool through a few more faces

The twenty pics underneath(?) are because of the range of variaty of one mesh only by scaling certain vertices, so simple that one could make it ingame through script. Remember 'Addy' where you can choose the faces shape and look in the beginning of this edutainment software.

Twinkle twinkle little eye to show me if you fit for animating emotions with the mesh...

Head scaled up to a helmet...

Single modification: Eyes and cheeks are simultaniously scaled.

Restricted horizontal scaled. Same shape, different skins.

What a lovely woman!

Same shape, first flat shaded, second skinned and goroud shaded.

What a simple made skin. Do you like her face, too?

The first four pictures excluded all this pictures show faces of the same mesh! That's the reason that I believe: take a given polycount, and you need for a human face you only need one mesh that you can modify with a few steps to get its unic characterization.
The following faces have a few polygons more; for example for the nose and the eyelids - and they are connected with the back of the head, ears, the rest of the body...

Her...

...and his face - with the same mesh.

Just because of the eyelid...

To win the contest I have to build a new model from scretch! I thought about a model fully build and skinned and animated in one day. Don't know if the idea is totally mad.

First I will add pics with explanations of how to connect different bodyparts to a perfect body. Then I have to found out how to make fast and good skinmeshes, and how to paint them fast. Animating at last shouldn't be a problem - it's my favourite subject.

Last edited by Pappenheimer; 10/06/03 08:04.