Quote:
Well the problem arises when you realise that scientists actually DON'T know what they are doing , for if they did , they wouldnt need to conduct the experiments.

Well actually the experiment is done to get a clue on that. It also isn't some kind of "well let's do this and that and look what will happen" (because you wouldn't get 6 billions for that ;\) ) but it's about creating a theory you can somewhat proof (at least when it comes to maths and hints form other known factors) and then do a prediction. If you're lucky you one day may see an actual experiment where you have your prediction for and look if the supposed event is going to happen...

Concerning the panicing this reminds me of that TU24 meteor which passed us in January or something. There were quite some funny predictions saying that like in the tunguska event there will be total havoc and giant emp storms around the world killing all the computers and grand scale destruction. Here you have a nice video about it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1_Y6L9-VmK8&feature=related#

And maybe also look at this good "Anti-thesis": http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y6fXpfE_D20

In fact I see no difference between this and the LHC story. Someone takes the facts of what's going to happen and totally exaggerates it and adds nonsense arguments. At least I have seen no argumentation which says here at this point of the calculation they made a mistake because [bla bla bla]. You just hear someone picking up the description of the procedure and adds in a drama-drama what if theory without giving any arguments at all. Wormholes, Black-Holes and such are nice terms but if you really wan't to argue about them you should have a bit more than Star-Trek niveau where you throw around some fancy words but give no in-depth details. Especially of someone believes that omg they are going to let the earth being sucked by a black hole I'd do everything to make my position and arguments clear...

Unfortunately that's not more than a list of hearsaying and someone adding in a lot of drama but no single real argument...

Enjoy your meal
Toast