Well if it turns on and nothing happens of course I would be wrong , and very happy to be wrong , and looking forward to what the lhc finds.
"Newton knew why gravity occurred" , No he didnt , and thats a fact , thats where einstein came in with relativity , newton however, understood gravity and how it affected everything in the world. But we are still babies when it comes to knowledge and technology , many of us seem to forget we've only had electricity for a couple hundred years . We know very little , and most is observation , and theory , just like the bosson higgs , as said in a previous post , his fellow physisists laughed at the idea of it in the begining. And to this day there is zero evidence of it , as in fact , it's something that guy thought up.
Here is his statement
"I'd be very puzzled if it wasn't discovered ... If you don't have something like a Higgs boson ... if it's not that, what the hell is it?
"If it's not found, I no longer understand what I think I understand,"
Did you read that , thats statement means that he might not understand anything, since he believes the bosson higgs exists while it might not and things might be completely different than whats understood and accepted right now. So dont talk like you really know what your talking about fasstlane , Higgs himself admitted he might not know what he talks about.