Well , one thing is , if there is water on earth , then there is possibility of water on a planet of any star, so , even searching for life similar to ours , it's still a HUGE MASSIVE MEGA chance of it existing everywhere in the universe. The biggest problem is , we cant see it , because stars are too far from us. So , lets say there is a big thriving civilization similar to ours in one of our close stars , we cant see it , they could be having a parade and we would be 100% unaware of it. The only reason we see stars is because they are so immensely bright, planets dont create light , we merely absorb and reflect it , so , if we cant even see the planets on the other stars (and if planet formation occurs as scientists believe it does , then there are planets on EVERY star) , then there is no way of knowing if there is life in any of them , that of course , doesnt mean there isnt , I'm very sure there is life on most stars , it only makes sense.

Just look at the big Mars mystery , it appears to have once been full of water having rivers and lakes everywhere , yet now we dont see any water , but it is assumed at one time it was full of water , which means , it might have been very similar to earth , and might have even sustained life , maybe even vast amounts of life , but if it did it's all gone now. So if Mars had water , and earth does , and one or 2 of saturn or jupiter's (I forget which) moons does , then water is not that rare a phenomena , it looks like it is a much more common thing than we once thought. So , I would say , we definately have a lot of neighbors , it only makes sense , wether you look at it from a religious or a scientific way , the chance of abundant life existing in the universe is vast. Just look at all the life that exists in ONE little planet , can you imagine the amount of life that exists in this whole universe ?