Quote:
How many times here in this forum you claimed that other members must listen to you because you are a scientist

Hmmm... Honestly, I think it's none in the last 3 years. I tried the whole "credentials" thing early in my posting days (5 years ago), but soon found it to be a useless tactic. Since then, I have let my words and reference prove my points, not the pieces of paper hanging in my office.

So I'm going to go with "none". Final answer. smile

Quote:
Biology , Physics , geology,astronomy and statistics play an equal important role
This does not mean that you can not have a scientific approach to the problem

Nor did I imply as such. But your point was that the Artist had no right to comment because he was an Artist and not a scientist. I admit that all these fields above play equally important role in the Alien question. But then why not Art, Religion, Society, Politics? Any of these can equally affect how and when a civilization activates a signal or comes to visit us. So who are we to say that the Artist has a less valid viewpoint than the Scientist on the Alien Question?

Quote:
It is very presumptuos of him and of you , to assume that mr Bjork did make so a silly mistake

Well then I, phemox, and the Artist will presume away...

His claim, and yours by proxy, is (from his paper):

"I seem to be able to conclude based on the results from
my simulations that exploring the Galaxy by sending out
probes to visit the other stars is horribly slow. However,
unless travel methods are invented which gives access to
faster-than-light-travel, there seems to be no alternative
way to proceed than this proposed process. This could offer
a possible explanation to the Fermi paradox."

We are saying that his model can be contrived to change that time in any direction we want -- shorten it by adding more probes, lengthen it by creating less, shorten it by speeding the probe, lengthen it by slowing down, etc. In fact, his paper does mention VNM, blind search techniques, and other variables and thus the real presumption is that this gives any answers at all!

So yes, we presume away and challenge his conclusion that FTL is the only way for Aliens to visit us as well as his assertion that this is a possible solution to the Fermi Paradox.

(PS: Upon careful reading of his paper, I came across this as his answer for the .1c choice. I was real curious as to why such a low number and here is what he has to say about it:

"For all probes a speed of 0.1c is assumed. This velocity
is low enough that effects due to general relativity can
be ignored, yet high enough that the travel time between
stars are on the order of years."

Which is funny because the only reason he wants to ignore relativity is to make the math and programming easier (there is no other reason for it) AND he CONTRIVES it so that the travel time betwen stars is on the orderyears... that's some pretty weak reasonsing for sticking to such a low velocity.)