Spike, your screenshot of the Conduit basically looks... pretty poor. Thats not to say that I can do better, using A6, A7 or anything else, but I was merely saying that I'd be extremely disappointed if that was all the so-called graphics-wonder can do.
But then, the Conduit doesn't even interest me in the slightest.

I love the A7 vs. the World-threads, since there often is useful input regarding the other options as A7, but in a way, this comparision seems to make a lot less sense, since A7 is a game engine and Wii... is not. But what do I know! So what exactly is the questions you guys want to discuss? Is it: "Can you create games that look as good or better than the best ones (currently?) on Wii?". Because if it is, my answer is a resounding... uhm, maybe?

I'll admit it right here, right now: I'm, bascially, an idiot when it comes to the technical, pretty-pretty-graphics-side. I hear you guys talking about Shaders and Paralax mapping and Shader 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, and I'm sitting here, discovering environment mapping and all those other FFP-effects one wikisnippet at a time. But this is not because I'm absoutely against shaders, because I assure you, I'm not. I'm probably more careful about using them since I want my game to work on computers that are many years old, but I sure like them as optional pretty-makers.

Now, I'd be lying if I said that I find the discussion of technical specs of the current consoles mindblowing (maybe incredibly boring is more like it), but from time to time, I like to join those chats, and its at times like this that I find those statements very interesting:

Quote:

I dont know what this previous thread was about but Wii video hardware is similar to Geforce 2, with 8 lights and no shaders. Many Wii games have surprisingly good graphics still and use many tricks, but its obviously nonsense to compare A7 with Wii. It would make more sense to compare A5 with Wii, thats almost the same features.

Thats interesting, but since I'm a cold-hearted, mean-spirited idiot, you must forgive me for asking for a source for this sentence. I have played Wii games that for my eye look like they would definately not possible with a Geforce2 (many tricks or not), and given how many Wiigames seem to use a bloom-effect (or maybe they are just faking it well, that could also be true, but often it feels like the developers are trying to bloom my face off), I'd like to think that maybe shaders are possible. But again, I don't have any source for this other than the obversations I've made using my own eyes , so I suppose these don't hold much value in this discussion. Anyway, all I'm doing here is basically just asking you for a source.

Now attempting to destroy analyze Spikes post.

Quote:
the conduit will, once completed, or at least they are promising this.

Ah, but since they apparently don't do so now, how much merit does this statement have right now? Not much, I'm afraid, unless you're trying to say that there is a developer out there with access to a development-kit - in other words, with more knowledge about this subject than us - assuring us that the Wii is more powerful than what was shown so far, but then, they are developers, making a game for Wii, and they know very well that statements like this are PR-gold. The Nintendo-fans just love sentences like this, and getting such positive fansupport is amazing for them. So... say its my cold-hearted, mean-spirited character, but I for one am going to ignore this statement until they show me a screen that makes me eat those words, which might definately be possible, and in which case (as unlikely it may be) I will certainly be glad about all the "maybe"s and "that-is-possible"s in my post.
So: Statement ignored.

Mad World - the screenshot you added (err, I guess?) doesn't show up for me, but I've seen screenshots of it before, and I really think that its "appealing" (I don't find them that appealing, to be honest, but again, I've read positive comments) look is entirely due to their artstyle, and not the technologic capabilities of the Wii. So... I'm going to ignore this too!

Metroid Prime 3 was not only an awesome game, but it also has great looks, but they werent that much improved from the Gamecube - Prime 1 looked amazing on it already. Seems like the main thing they did was adding bloom to it.
Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE that artstyle, I really think it looks great. But again, I said "artstyle". It's hard for me to tell how much of this is due to Wiis power. It certainly doesn't help that the entire game takes place on very small chunks of the level, basically, one room at a time.

I've heard that "Wii-is-better-than-the-original-XBox"-statement a lot, but in a way, thats a statement thats not really saying much, since we don't know in what departments it is how much better. Can it display more kind of shaders, more polygons, etc, etc. There are lots of points on which you can compare the processing power of these things, and a general statement like this is easily understood as "better-in-everything", but actually, that they haven't said.

I hate to do this, because I like the Wii, but it has to be said that I don't like the Wii for the jaw-dropping graphics it produces, or, to be more exact, I don't like the Wii for its raw processing power.

I like it for Horse Adventures 2 and Babyz Party.

Last edited by Error014; 08/02/08 23:31.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!