Originally Posted By: Michael_Schwarz
Or do you really "enjoy" drinking a Coke? Is the beer you are drinking really the "best premium lager beer"? Is the PC you most recently bought really "the best PC"?

It's marketing, everyone does it. And I'm plenty sure that they still will in the future.

Well besides that things like "enjoying" something are subjective, are you aware that with this argumentation you undermine the credibility of Conitec and the 3DGS feature list?

In this business that's very important and I guess you know quite some examples of where some promised features didn't work at all or just not to the extent it was promised and how that affected to producers behind it. As 3DGS especially is made for beginners in game development such an advertisment is even more dangerous as many won't realise that the given MMO capabilities are unrealistic (well at least that insane number of supported clients was removed)...

When getting back to topic I really dislike the apathy that is showing up (once again). I mean there's no need for "panicing", stopping all the development and focus completely on this task but I have little understanding for the ignorance towards certain facts. I mean that any 3DGS owner with network capability can easily crash ANY server running ANY 3DGS game is a quite tremendous bug and it hasn't been discovered for just a couple of weeks. Still I see no sign of any plan to get this fixed...

Then there's the discussion about the networking engine itself. Fastlane makes a lot of good points as to where the current system lacks things and what would be a proper solution. Still there's no real reaction besides bashing him and Conitec (i.e. JCL) also didn't really show up yet with at least something like "We'll be thinking about what you proposed."...

To conclude this, my opinion is that a 3rd party networking engine really should be integrated. The reason simply is that they won't just be better than a homebrew solution (because Conitec can't spent the same amount of time for only one feature) but the integration of this also will be a thousand times faster than coding everything from ground up. The only disadvantage probably is the costs of all this but that's actually a discussion that could and imo should be made and I think that's actually what really is wanted here: An actual discussion about all this instead of just denying or ignoring certain facts...

This doesn't need to lead to what fastlane or I or someone else proposes but a real discussion has to take place in order to unveil the disadvantages of the current system and how these could be overcome...

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Last edited by Toast; 08/19/08 09:53.