Originally Posted By: fastlane69
Quote:
Is it "possible" to make an 1000-player-MMOG with 3DGS using the Acknex Network Engine? It certainly is

How do you know Michael?
What Network experience do you bring to this thread?
What do you know that we don't?

I'm not being facetious here or trying to make a fool out of you, but if you claim that this is possible with NO PROOF, if you are saying this with no experience using the GS net engine, then you are blindly touting the GS line (as I did for far too long) without any real practical knowledge of what the engine is or isn't capable of.

Quote:

Is it "practical" to make an 1000-player-MMOG with 3DGS using the Acknex Network Engine? No.

It's possible to create a car bridge made out of balsa wood... but it wouldn't be practical. And thus if not practical, then balsa wood should not be advertised as "bridge capable".
Quote:
Use DLL's, period.

This philosophy is like buying a new car under the premise that you can drive it off the lot but then finding out that you have to augment or replace the engine yourself before it will even run! If a car company did this to you, would you shrug it off and say "It isn't that big of a deal."? wink

If GS states "MMOG" on their features page, then I expect that GS is capable of MMOG, not GS + DLL, not GS + my own network.. native GS. That's how it's presented, that's what I expected, and that's where I was wrong.

And to make matters worse, the only way that several of us working on MMP have found to MAKE GS work is buy turning off just about every high level Network feature GS offers... so what does that say about GS and it's advertisement as a viable MP/MMOG solution?

I just want truth in advertising or better yet, more focused attention on the GS MP community and what all of us are saying: GS Net Engine needs replaced!

well first of all, I think it is rude to jump to conclusions before finish reading sentences, but thats not the point here, so lets move on.

Quote:
How do you know Michael?
What Network experience do you bring to this thread?
What do you know that we don't?

I'm not being facetious here or trying to make a fool out of you, but if you claim that this is possible with NO PROOF, if you are saying this with no experience using the GS net engine, then you are blindly touting the GS line (as I did for far too long) without any real practical knowledge of what the engine is or isn't capable of.

I have lots of multiplayer experience, especially with 3DGS. I have even released the whole source code of a small shooter project I have been working on which supports up to 8 players in a good working environment. But you need to compile with the pro edition, as it uses Acknex' Network engine.

Anyway, over the course of the years I have developed several small MMOG approaches for testing ideas on how to realize them with 3DGS and figuring out how I do best make players move and update that information only to players in range, etc...

I thought you know me well enough around here to know that I shutup if I don't know what I'm talking about and only discuss when I know, that I know, what I know.

So, I should have "brought" enough experience to talk about this.

What know, is that MMOG's, ARE possible. Thoug for a real environment featuring many,many players with differenct actions(emotes, fighting, moving etc...) the 3DGS Network Engine is ridicously impractical, none the less, it is *possible*.

Quote:
It's possible to create a car bridge made out of balsa wood... but it wouldn't be practical. And thus if not practical, then balsa wood should not be advertised as "bridge capable".

Ahh the good ol' comparison starts again wink No but certainly, you can't offer a comparison to a car bridge with an game engine. Let's take the "bridge build kit" for instance. Maybe the kit says, you can build a bridge that can hold up to 100 cars. Though, in the process of building the bridge you realize that it is way too impractical, BUT it is possible.

Quote:
This philosophy is like buying a new car under the premise that you can drive it off the lot but then finding out that you have to augment or replace the engine yourself before it will even run! If a car company did this to you, would you shrug it off and say "It isn't that big of a deal."?

Once again it is a bad comparison. Cars drive, everyoneknows that for a fact. But a normal car certainly cant drive in some rally for instance. Even some of those high priced cars who are sold as being "as powerful as an F1 car" don't. People then replace the motor.

And also your example would be like comparing it to 3DGS in the sense of: You want to create a box and then see it as a 3D object in the engine, but It wontlet me compile until I apply a texture on it. I want the engine to show me what I have in the level editor, no matter what texture I applied to it.

Quote:
f GS states "MMOG" on their features page, then I expect that GS is capable of MMOG

But it IS, it just is very very impractical. They are not lying as you are stating, they are telling the truth. It just isnt practical.

Quote:
so what does that say about GS and it's advertisement as a viable MP/MMOG solution?

I never saw anywhere "viable/pratical MP/MMOG solution", just "capable".

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku