Thanks for the reply, JCL. I'm happy to have you specific feedback on these issues and your viewpoints on priorities as a way to focus our discussion.

Quote:
Can you finish your game when you get those three features?

I've already programmed a client update (works okay) and I have a (lousy) workaround for the needed server-server communication. However, I can't go commercial, nobody can, while this remains...

"- Security Fixes (ie: the ability of a dummy GS client to crash ANY GS server)"

...and if encryption will fix this, then please, please move encryption up the priority scale to "ULTRA TOP URGENT" because all our MP projects are non-commercial until this is fixed.

Quote:
Planned, but DPLAY is not the reason of a multiplayer problem.

I will argue that Dplay is the problem on these three points:

1) you admit it's not the fastest which with todays advances in network engines, is an understantment. As an example, if it takes dplay 2ms to process a packet that another library process in 1.9ms, that is a HUGE deal for MP and especially MMP games.

2) you admit server-server is not possible with Dplay. We admit that it is critical to a well designed MMP. Thus I argue that Dplay is indeed holding the MMP community from growing. What can we do as developers to convince you as engineers that server-server is indeed a critical feature for the growth of the GS MMP community? I've only been saying this for 4 years after all..

3) From a business perspective, if you are trying to sell your product, be it to an investor or a publisher, they will cringe at the mention of Dplay. Dplay carries a bad reputation in the industry and NO GAMES HAVE BEEN MADE WITH IT IN ABOUT 5 YEARS. Thus keeping it as the frontline GS solution means that any MP/MMP developer is already at a HUGE disadvantage in terms of funding and commercializing their game merely because they are using an outdated and often mocked engine.

As always, I represent the MMP camp and thus do not represent the full MP community. Others should chime in JCL's feedback to get a good view of what the GS MP community needs.