Originally Posted By: lostclimate
you might want to look into reducing the poly count in the legs a bit since they are adding a lot of polys to it but not a lot of detail/silhouette.

You're right, they do account for a lot of polys. I just deleted everything except one leg, foot and ball joint that meets the body. 146 polys. That's about 400 for all 3. I originally had just extruded cubes at about half the poly-count, but replaced them with cylinders, as this is what a player in-game would see first and most often. Figured I'd use the cubed legs in a LOD model. Might re-think that. Maybe cube the top portions of the legs.

Cheers!
Mark

EDIT: Compromised and replaced the top and middle portions of the legs only, since they shouldn't get a lot of view, and cubed them, and saved about 130 polys. The lowest part of the legs are still cylindrical to avoid the blocky look when planted motionless. Good call, LostClimate. I like an optimized model. They might look high-poly because the skin makes them look segmented, but in reality, each leg has only 8 sections, 4 of which are joints to avoid skin stretching when animating. I also stretched the legs to twice and a half the original length. Time to add a few dangling tentacles. If memory serves correctly, they looked a lot like squid tentacles. Round and tapered, then flairing out into a flat diamond shape...

Thanks for the help guys.
Mark

Last edited by MadMark; 09/06/08 23:55.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't vacuum naked.