I certainly do not speak for ChrisTodd, but it is my belief that only the original text of the sciptures is divinely inspired. The translations are best called educational interpretations. For the divine Word you must revert to the original texts.

Having said that I have not found many places in the Bible that differ from one version to another. The real trick is in studying the text systematically and not drawing out whole philosophical tirads based on a verse or two.

Proper studying requires learning the customs of the times in which a particular book was written, the type of book, poetic versus historical for example, and how similar themes are presented through out the Bible.

While I believe the Bible to be the word of God, ie divinely inspired, I do have many questions involving contradictory parts of the Bible. I have many problems with these passages being explained away with simple phrases like who can understand God or yes both statements that seem contradictory can be true, we just don't understand how. These statements undermine Christian believability.

I have no problem with saying I do not know what that means and can't explain it. After all that pretty much says the same thing mentioned above but is much more straight forward.

Sorry for jumping in, but KJV, NASB, NIV, ESV or whatever is not divinely inspired. The Hebrew texts of the Old Testament and the Greek text of the New Testament were divinely inspired in my belief. I also have questions that some of the texts included in the New Testament should even be considered scriptures. But I stand alone on that leg with in the Christian community as far as I know and I am not any knid of authority on this subject.

Nice conversation.