Julz: It's not a typo, it's just how scientists use the words in contrast with how the rest of the world uses them. To me it's fine that when common folk say "I have a theory" they only mean "an educated guess", but when we pick up that word from a scientific context like in "The theory of evolution", then this is where all the confusion begins. Check out this video for more.

Quote:
if an unproven theory has right to be in books and taught that way, so does our belief.

Again, natural selection is unproven in the same way that gravity is unproven. Both theories have gone through much testing before they could be called theories, and they both came out successful.
If anyone manages to disprove natural selection even in theory or through experimentation, this person will probably be awarded with the nobel prize, but so far (for 150 years) this hasn't been done, thus the theory of evolution stands. On the other hand, there's no nobel prizes waiting for the person that disproves the literal meanings of the bible because even a 9 year old can do that. And that's the reason why evolution deserves a place in schools more than creationism does.

It's actually a bit ironic when people will automatically assume that we have perfectly explained stuff like gravity, while with natural selection we're just making wild guesses ; whereas in fact the opposite is true. Particle physicists have absolutely no idea how gravity works and our standard model of physics does not even mention gravity. We have some speculation about a particle called graviton which enforces gravity but this is as certain as when we thought there was something called ether that carried out light. And with the LHC experiment almost ready to begin, there's a bigger chance that the theory of gravity will need serious changes, than the theory of evolution.

That site is propaganda at its greatest. Here's what they have quoted out of Darwin's book, On the Origin Of Species:

Quote:
To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree.

I traced down that quote in my book, and here's the full passage:

Quote:
To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree. Yet reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a perfect and complex eye to one very imperfect and simple, each grade being useful to its possessor, can be shown to exist; if further, the eye does vary ever so slightly, and the variations be inherited, which is certainly the case; and if variation or modification in the organ be ever useful to an animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, can hardly be considered real.

Don't blindly buy into everything you read on the internet.

Quote:
You seem to forget that Darwin wished to retract his theory before he died, but it had already gotten out into scientists hands.

This is yet another propaganda started by a christian called "Lady Hope" who wrote an article on a newspaper claiming she had visited Darwin on his deathbed and he had converted to Christianity. In reality, no one from Darwin's circle know who this Lady Hope is, no one saw her ever come in the house and Darwin's children strongly refute the whole story. Charles Darwin was self-proclaimed as an agnostic and there's no evidence of ever changing his mind until he died.

INTENSE AI: Use the Best AI around for your games!
Join our Forums now! | Get Intense Pathfinding 3 Free!