Quote:
it can't be "wrong" if it's too vague to figure out exactly what it means.

Nope, it's wrong because it's vague. It's simply far too easy to just accept vagueness over specifics when people interpret texts in whatever way they like. Besides.. how can it be true or truth if it doesn't really clarify anything?

Quote:
this vagueness you associate with the entire bible shows exactly how little you've read of it.

Not at all, it shows how easy religious people disregard that fact as if it's not important. I know what metaphors are and yes the Bible also has far more obvious ones, but in fact the Bible is só full of them that it's actually impossible to really take anything literally. Taking one thing literally because it happens to fit your world view and taking another thing as 'just a metaphor' is just being selective.

You still don't seem to understand the point of all this though. Because from a linguistic point of view the whole 'four corners of the earth' example shows what happens when we treat the Bible like you do and just interpret away. Again, I never said that this must be the one and only interpretation, but I did say that 'at best' it's an indication of what people thought of earth. Expressions or not, those words were chosen for a reason, a lot of the expressions common to us now were based on older texts... that doesn't mean the original text must carry the same metaphorical image at all. Basically in reality you are being closed-minded here, it has nothing to do with English not being my native language. In fact, we have similar expressions in Dutch, but that's not the point.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software