Quote:
Your get pain from using hotkeys? Do you have some problem with your hands or something?
LOL, i just have waited for that question. I think we have them all now. I am too dumb, have no clue about 3D, am not willing to learn and not healthy enough to use Blender laugh

Nope, all healthy and fine. It's just when i press hotkeys the whole day i get pain in my neck. You would too. I don't have that trouble with using my mouse for that job though.

And to prevent another misunderstanding, no, i have absolutely nothing against hotkeys. I use them too - where they make sense.

I have to disagree that there is no UI standard in 3D. They all have a somehow working Button or Icon UI, they nearly all are customizable. They nearly all tend towards the Windows UI too. Which is a big plus in learning and using.

What do you think why the big players creates such highly customizable UI's? It's all about the useage. You come from Maya? Then customize Silo to look like Maya. Big workflow plus. Big learning plus. You are in trouble to remember more than 10 hotkeys because you already know 100 from other software and would mix them permanently? Then just use this ten and use the button UI for the rest. Big workflow plus. Big learning plus. Under good circumstances you don't even have to touch a tutorial or the manual. You don't use the software permanently? Then you are lost with just hotkeys. You will have forgotten them when you come back. A hail to the icons and tooltips then that makes you remember what is what.

This is missing in Blender. You have fixed hotkeys, and that's it, besides a totally cluttered button UI. And they don't have a tooltip to explain the tool. They don't even have an icon to make you remember its function. Which means to have a steep learning curve before you can even do basic stuff.

Fact is that Blender has a weak UI. Even Blender makers knows that. And promises improvements since years. They always implement new tools instead though. Brings more fame.
Fact is also that i am not the only one who is in trouble with Blender UI. It is too special. I know enough who tried it and have given it up very quick.
Problem is, nearly just hotkey lovers stays with Blender. Rest migrates. And they don't really see anymore that the rest is in trouble with the UI.

Last edited by Tiles; 12/06/08 13:57.

trueSpace 7.6, A7 commercial
Free gamegraphics, freewaregames http://www.reinerstilesets.de
Die Community rund um Spiele-Toolkits http://www.clickzone.de