Quote:
I think there is no real random, we just can't find out these things exactly.
I think there is a real determinism.

Quote:
He (Einstein) thought that quantum physics was temporary and that one day we would discover the hidden world underneath; a world that isn't probabilistic. But sophisticated experiments done during the last 20 years have convinced physicists that, in this case, Einstein was wrong

Something in between

Quantum physics by itself is deterministic but it is not intuitive,the physical meaning of the parameters of the equations and of the relevant results being partially unknown

Human beings reason by analogies
The indeterminism of quantum physics is due to the fact that we try to describe entities which are beyond the limits of ou experience ( protons, electrons etc ) using analogies with our world ( particles , waves) as well as to the interference with the measuring instruments

The orbit of the moon does not change whether you watch it or not, different story for an electron

Going to philosophy

The error of Einstein was to implicitly assume ( even though it was an atheist) a sharp distinction : mind and matter

If what we call mind is the mere results of a neural networks than also our mind is part of the measuring pipeline same as the instrumentation for measuring the position of the electrons

Having said that I dont mean that quantum physics has definitely excluded the existence of soul

A reasonable critic was :
If measuring generate probabilistic results and our materialistic mind is part of the measuring system why do all scientists agree on the result of the same experiment ?

The question is still open

For those who are intersted I would suggest to read " Quantum physics and Phylosophi " by Werner Heisemberg
An outdated book but still a masterpiece

Last edited by AlbertoT; 12/12/08 19:16.