Originally Posted By: smitty

Dooley, I forgot to address your remark about the book of James. James wrote how saving faith should produce good works, not how we are saved by our works. Martin Luther did not understand the book of James either.

I didn't say that we are saved by our works. Just what James said, faith without works is no faith at all, just as works without faith will not do us any good. It's God's mercy which does away with our sins.

In Islam, God's mercy manifests itself in the form of God sending us guidance. He sent Prophets and Books with which we can learn how to believe and behave properly. This is our expression of faith, which will serve to ensure that God forgives our sins. No you can't force God to forgive you, it's up to Him, but the fact that you care and are asking for His forgiveness is an indication that His mercy has already reached you. Otherwise you might be an atheist or idol worshipper etc...

He showed you mercy by opening your heart to His message. Now it's up to you to act on that message, which you will if you really believe in it. I'm surprised Christians have a hard time with this, it's all over the Bible. According to the Bible Jesus said:

"Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. " (Matthew 5:19)

This is Islam in a nutshell. Thanks Jesus smile

Last edited by Dooley; 12/13/08 20:36.