Originally Posted By: Lukas

Btw. the Hubble volume also proves that creationism is wrong. Its radius is 14 billions light years. If the world was created by god 6000 years ago, it would be just 6000 light years! But I think that has already been mentioned in this thread, but ignored by you, the creationists.

Lukas, you haven't been reading my posts. This last post of yours is proof. I've said all along that I'm a Muslim, I don't accept the literal interpretation of the Bible, as Smitty does. (don't worry, I'm not angry about it... just pay attention).

The Quran does not place such specific time limits on Creation. It says that a day with Allah (God) is as 1,000 years of your reckoning. It mentions that the the angels ascend to God in a day whcih is as 50,000 years of your reckoning. The point is that the word 'day' in Arabic does not simply mean 1 24 hour period. It can be used for that, but it can be used for any period of time, of whatever length. So while the Quran does mention that Allah (God) created the heavens and the Earth in six days (periods), it does not indicate the length of these days (periods).

The Quran also, does not attempt to give a day by day report on what happened since the beginning of creation. The Quran is not a chronological book. The Bible is written (more or less) chronologically. Chronology (time) is a human limitation, something which Allah (God) would not be effected by. So as a result, Muslims do not have to argue that the universe is only 6000 years old as do Christians (who interprete the Bible literaly). I'm perfectly happy with a much older universe.

This is why I've been advocating the theory of Intelligent Design not Creationism. Because it follows Islamic principals of scientific inquiry much more closely than the Creationist's literal interpretation of the Bible.

The Quran is not silent on the matter of the origin of the universe though. It gives statements which are remarkably similar to modern theories of the origin of the cosmos, like the big bang.

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them, and We made every living thing of water? Will they not then believe?" (Quran 21:30)

The heavens and the earth were all together, and God seperated them. How would an Arab merchant in the 6th century know this? There are many such statements in the Quran which have left scientists baffled as to how it was written so long ago, when theories on the origin of the universe were pretty unscientific. Also, if you consider the Quran's statement about all life coming from water, it actually is supported by the theory of evolution.

After arguing with Christians so long, I can hardly blame you for assuming that people who believe in God are not logical or scientific at all. However the Quran is not the same as the Bible, and it never contradicts what we can observe in nature. Therefore Muslims have a much better relationship with the sciences than Christians ever did. Remember the European Renaissance occurred because of interactions with Muslim society, who had translated Greek texts (which had been prohibited by the Catholic Church) and re-introduced the sciences into European languages. Muslims also made many contributions to these sciences. The Quran encourages observation of nature, and history. All of these things can bring us a better understanding of God's creation. We are never told to close our eyes to reality, and just believe in a book.

"Behold! in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alternation of night and day there are indeed Signs for men of understanding. Those who celebrate the praises of Allah standing sitting and lying down on their sides and contemplate the (wonders of) creation in the heavens and the earth (with the thought): "Our Lord! not for naught hast thou created (all) this! Glory to thee! give us salvation from the penalty of the fire."(Quran 3:190-191)

Last edited by Dooley; 12/14/08 02:09.