Smitty, what I'm trying to say is that this is a simple concept which has been there since the beginning, it's called belief, and doing good. Paul has made it horribly complicated by stating:

"For we hold that a man is justified by faith apart from works of law" Romans 3:28

The truth is that both faith and works are required, here is the same concept in the Old Testament:

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD" Deuteronomy 6:4

i.e. BELIEVE

"If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which are written in this book of the law, and if thou turn unto the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul. For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off. It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it? But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it." Deuteronomy 30:10-14

i.e. KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS - do good deeds and avoid bad deeds - easy concept.

And again:
"The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him. But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die. All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live." Ezekiel 18:20-22

So if we do bad deeds, but then repent, and keep His commandment, then God will forgive us...easy again. Hard to do, but easy to understand. Jesus said it too...

"And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:" Mark 12:29

and the part about following the commandments...

"And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." Matthew 19:16-19

So Jesus is refering to the same system. He did not mention that he was about to die for that man's sins. Instead he told him to believe in God, and keep his commands, this is the way to eternal life. First you believe in God, then you do what God tells you... easy to understand.

"Those who have faith and do righteous deeds they are the best of creatures.
Their reward is with Allah: Gardens of Eternity Beneath which rivers flow; They will dwell therein for ever; Allah well pleased with them and they with Him: all this for such as fear their Lord and Cherisher." (Quran 98:7-8)

Same message, same prophets, same religion. It's only Paul's writings which contradict this simple message. Read the book of James again, who is he calling a foolish man? Why did he not mention Jesus' alleged crucifixion once? Why does he never mention how God used Jesus' sacrifice to forgive our sins? Why does he not mention this most central pillar of the Christian faith even once?

With all due respect to your beliefs and understanding. I only present my understanding in an attempt to help us arrive at the truth.

For everyone else:
And here you have an example of the kind of debate which is possible between Muslims and Christians.