Quote:
Your assumption is right, the Quran teaches a very similar cocept of the afterlife. To me, the Last Judgement and the afterlife are the completion of this existence. All the wrongs which were allowed to occur, are righted, and those who believed and did good are rewarded, while the wicked are punished. So in that sense, Heaven AND Hell, and our choices which determine where we end up, are the point of creation. One without the other would be pointless.

But those that end up in eternal bliss (heaven) will be without any influence of sin/evil whatsoever. As such, would not existence there then be pointless as well (according to your logic)? Since, according to this belief, sin and evil would be eradicated from the being of each one that enters heaven, then in the heavenly realm free choice would be impossible and, as such, those residing there not be free. Is this correct (according to your logic)?

I am not trying to argue (in the negative sense), so I hope that you don't take it that way. I am trying to understand where you are coming from and, frankly, I am testing your logic for any loopholes ... pushing to see the soundness of the argument, so to speak.

Quote:
Dan, I struggle with this idea too, but no matter how unfair we believe the world to be, it is still the world. We still have to decide what we believe, and enjoy, or suffer the consequences, that's reality.

However, if we accept the existence of Hell (even if we consider it to be unfair) we must also accept that God is the most just of judges, and that He really knows what's best, both concepts are presented through the same revelation. The point is that even if we can't understand why there would be a Hell now, once we are in the afterlife, it will be made clear to us. I hope this makes sense, I realise it's a bit of a self fulfilling argument, but in this case I believe it serves.

According to many belief systems, man is created in the image of God. This is the Bible teaching and, I assume, the teaching of the Qu'ran as well. It seems obvious that the "image" of God is not about physicality (arms, legs and such) since the Bible describes God as a spirit, having no body. Therefore, the image of God could refer to moral ideas (as well as a few other concepts). If this is the case, then, despite the teaching that the image of God is corrupt within man, a sense of the morality of God would be within each man. This would help to explain why most civilizations come to the same conclusions about things like stealing, murder, etc.

Now, in light of this, if a man were to torture someone for a period of time that man would be considered a monster for doing so. Even if a man were to torment an animal, like a dog, then people would regard such a one as a monster, being very cruel indeed. Even if the dog did something wrong, people do not torment the dog. They may quickly put the animal to sleep, but they do not torment the animal. And if someone where to devise a way to torment an animal for long periods of time ... years ... then they would certainly see such a person as a monster and perhaps not deem this person fit to live.

However, for some reason it is acceptable when God decides to take a lessor being (humans) and torment them, not just for a long period of time, but for eternity. If a man is a monster for tormenting a dog for a short period of time, then god is a monster for tormenting a man, no matter the crime, for an eternity.

Also, please consider this: If a man murders (even multiple victims), but repents of his deeds and accept Christ (according to the Christian religion) he will be ushered into eternal bliss in heaven. He could have lived his life in the worst possible way ... been a Hitler, for example ... but accepted Christ on his deathbed and, as a result, go straight to heaven.

However, a man that lives a decent life ... never actually commits those crimes ... but never accepts Christ ... he gets to spend eternity in hell.

The Christian will be quick to point out that all men are sinners and that the man who did not physically do the crimes was equally as guilty before god ... even Jesus said that if you are angry with your brother you have committed murder in your heart ... therefore the man deserves his eternal punishment.

Again, the human makes a vast difference between what is actually committed and what is thought. It is not wrong, in human society to be angry with someone, but it is wrong to murder (as an example). I know that some will try to argue that god's ways are higher than ours and thus he judges the heart of man, but this actually makes no real sense. Some primitive man somewhere in the jungle of Africa goes to hell, having never had a chance to hear of Christ, because of his thought life (if we assume he never murdered, etc)?

I could go on, but I think you get the point. A man would never torment someone for lying. But god would do that and for an eternity (if the man never accepted Christ). We would never torment a lesser being (like a dog) for as long as we could sustain the torment simply because the dog did not accept our authority. But god would do that. Yet god remains a god of love instead of becoming a monster.

If, on the other hand, someone believes in annihilation (in order to rectify the problem of eternal torment) then they do an injustice to the teachings of the Bible (and I am assuming the Qu'ran) by ignoring the clear teachings on eternal torment.

Anyway, I have gone on too long and probably am not making a lot of sense at the moment (I am tired).

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios