Quote:
My point was that the leap of faith is required by materialism as much as it is required of religions. Some of the comments on this thread have claimed that the universe was not created by a God, and that the universe is the result of chance. Since I did not witness the creation of the universe, believing in this would require a leap of faith on my part. Since I think it's highly unlikely that such a complex and beautiful system could ever be created by chance, I choose, instead, to believe in an intelligent creator.

This is not necessarily true. A witness to the actual event is not always needed in order to know what took place. If I walk through a forest and I see a tree that has fallen down I don't have to have a "leap of faith" to know that the tree fell down. I may not immediately know all the reasons behinds its fall, but I can learn about that by examining the fallen tree. For example, I could see the fallen tree and surmise that a god walked there and knocked it over in his or her wrath. Then I could examine the tree and find that its core was dead wood. I could then surmise that the angry god struck the tree causing the dead wood which, in turn made it fall! Or I could examine the wood and find that it had been infested with a common tree disease that kills the wood. So a leap of faith is not necessary and neither is an original observer to the event. In most cases the aftermath of the event can be studied in order to learn how the event came about. This is also true of the origins of our universe.

Also, just because there is an unknown does not mean we instantly blame god for it wink . Can't we just say, "Hey! I don't know, but let's see if we can find out!"

Quote:
Finally, your argument about aliens having helped the creation along is valid, but it does little to explain how life originated from the first place. Where did the aliens come from? How did they evolve? You still have the problem of life coming from dead matter.

Again, just because we don't have a definitive answer does not necessitate a divine being. It just means we don't have an answer. Go back a few hundred years and we didn't have firm answers on what causes disease, the fact of things like bacteria and viruses and many other things. People would, at one time, blame these things on the "act of god". Now we know that they are natural.

Also, the same question you bring up about the aliens (where did they come from) is the same question we can bring up about god (where did HE come from?). It is no more or less valid to ask this of god then of supposed aliens or anything or anyone else. No one has the answer (yet). The Christian simply says that god ever was and ever will be. I suppose the Muslim says the same. I could say this about aliens, if I wanted to, and no one could prove me wrong (especially if I claimed that these aliens were invisible, spiritual beings that inhabit another plane of existence that transcends our time and space wink ). Basically, your argument here works just as well against a creator as for one.

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios