Originally Posted By: Dan Silverman
Yes, but that is what I am talking about. I am guessing that there are words and even phrases in the Qur'an that are not easy to understand (perhaps even not known for sure what they mean) because of the change in the language over time. This is true for the Christian Bible as well. And this can present problems, especially in a topic like this when people are discussing "truth".

Arabic is made up mostly of 3 letter root words (verbs), these are well known and have not changed since the time of the Quran. Arabic as it is spoken has changed and evolved like any language, but the roots of the language as contained in the Quran have been preserved. Anyone who wants to learn the Arabic of the Quran has plenty of resources. I have a dictionary which defines each word of the Quran, and breaks it down by it's 3 letter root.

The word 'Islam' for instance, means 'Surrender'. However, it's 3 letter root is 's l m' which is the same root as the word 'Salam' which means peace. From this we can interprete the word 'Islam' as a peaceful surrender to God, or achieving peace by surrendering to God etc...

That doesn't mean that there's only one interpretation of the Quran. There are plenty of scholars (no priests in Islam) out there with differing positions on various topics. However, the fundamental teachings of Islam are well known and clearly evident in the Quran.