Deuteronomy 6:4
Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!

The Hebrew word for LORD is Yahweh which is God's covenant name (with Israel) "I Am"

Jesus said He existed before Abraham and referred to Himself as I Am.

John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."

The Jews knew that Jesus was saying He was God. That was why they wanted to stone him.

John 8:59 Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him, but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple.

John 5:18
For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.

John 10
30 I and the Father are one.
31 The Jews picked up stones again to stone Him.
32 Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?"
33 The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God."

The Hebrew word for "God" used in Deuteronomy 6:4 is "Eloheim" which is plural. The Hebrew word for "one" used there is "echad" which is also plural, as in one bunch of grapes. There is another Hebrew word for one which is "yachid" which is singular, as in one grape, but God uses "echad" because of the plurality of the Godhead.

The plurality of God in the OT:

Genesis 1:26 Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness;

Genesis 11:7
"Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another's speech."

Yes, Jesus asked the man why he called Him good because only God is good, and Jesus was making a point. Why was the man calling Jesus good if He was only a man?

Matthew 19:17
And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

The man goes on to tell Jesus that he has kept the commandments from his youth and asks Jesus what else he needs to do to inherit eternal life. Jesus tells him to sell his possessions and give the money to the poor and follow Him, but the man went away sad because he wanted to hold on to his wealth and the things of this world. Jesus goes on to tell his disciples that whoever will give up the things of this world (family, money, etc.) and follow Him will have eternal life. In other words believe/trust/have faith in Jesus (God) not money, family and the things of this world.

Also, Isaiah 9:6 and Micah 5:2 which are OT Messianic prophecies are very clear that the Messiah is to be God.

Isaiah 9:6
For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Micah 5:2
“ But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
Though you are little among the thousands of Judah, Yet out of you shall come forth to Me
The One to be Ruler in Israel,
Whose goings forth are from of old,
From everlasting.”

Jesus says He is the Messiah.

John 4:25-26 The woman said to Him, “I know that Messiah is coming” (who is called Christ). “When He comes, He will tell us all things.”
26 Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am He.”

Isaiah 53 clearly shows that Messiah will come and die for our sins.

These verses also clearly show that the bible claims that Jesus is God and that Jesus claims to be God.

John 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made...14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

John 14:1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.

Last edited by smitty; 12/17/08 03:55.