I know that this thread is about does the bible really teach that Jesus IS God (not was, because Jesus DID rise from the dead and IS very much alive and without the resurrection we would have no hope), but the subject of the Holy Spirit has been brought up so I must interject here and say that the Holy Spirit like the Father (who is also Spirit) and Jesus (the Son or same as God) is also God and not just some force or something. The bible clearly states that God is One, but the bible also makes clear that God is three "persons".

Here are some OT references to the Holy Spirit (Spirit of God):

Genesis 1:2
The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.

Exodus 31:3
"I have filled him with the Spirit of God in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all kinds of craftsmanship,

Exodus 35:31
"And He has filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding and in knowledge and in all craftsmanship;

Numbers 24:2
And Balaam lifted up his eyes and saw Israel camping tribe by tribe; and the Spirit of God came upon him.

1 Samuel 10:10
When they came to the hill there, behold, a group of prophets met him; and the Spirit of God came upon him mightily, so that he prophesied among them.

1 Samuel 11:6
Then the Spirit of God came upon Saul mightily when he heard these words, and he became very angry.

1 Samuel 19:20
Then Saul sent messengers to take David, but when they saw the company of the prophets prophesying, with Samuel standing and presiding over them, the Spirit of God came upon the messengers of Saul; and they also prophesied.

1 Samuel 19:23
He proceeded there to Naioth in Ramah; and the Spirit of God came upon him also, so that he went along prophesying continually until he came to Naioth in Ramah.

2 Chronicles 15:1
Now the Spirit of God came on Azariah the son of Oded,

2 Chronicles 24:20
Then the Spirit of God came on Zechariah the son of Jehoiada the priest; and he stood above the people and said to them, "Thus God has said, ' Why do you transgress the commandments of the LORD and do not prosper? Because you have forsaken the LORD, He has also forsaken you.'"

Job 33:4
"The Spirit of God has made me,And the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

Ezekiel 11:24
And the Spirit lifted me up and brought me in a vision by the Spirit of God to the exiles in Chaldea So the vision that I had seen left me.

Here are some NT references of the Father and Holy Spirit:

Matthew 10:20
"For it is not you who speak, but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you.

Matthew 28:19
" Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

Luke 10:21
At that very time He rejoiced greatly in the Holy Spirit, and said, "I praise You, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants. Yes, Father, for this way was well-pleasing in Your sight.

Luke 11:13
" If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?"

John 14:16
[ Role of the Spirit ] "I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever;

John 14:26
"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

John 15:26
"When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me,

Acts 2:33
"Therefore having been exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this which you both see and hear.

Galatians 4:6
Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, " Abba! Father!"

Ephesians 2:18
for through Him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father.

1 Peter 1:2
according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure.

Last edited by smitty; 12/17/08 12:33.