Originally Posted By: smitty

I believe the bible teaches that the Holy Spirit is a "person" and equal to God the Father and God the Son.

I believe that the Bible teaches that God is One. This is a direct quote.

"Holy spirit is a person" - please explain where this belief came from.

"equal to God" - The Holy Spirit is definitely mentioned in the Bible, but is never equated with God to my knowledge.

"God the Son" - Your own words, where is this phrase used in the Bible?

How can three be equal to one? This belief of yours, if indeed derived from the Bible, clearly contradicts the first commandment. They did not say 'there is one God', they said 'God is One'. They did not say 'God is Three', they said 'God is One'. I'm not talking about priests or rabbis or monks either, I'm talking about Moses and Jesus. If Moses and Jesus agree that 'God is One', where is there any room for these other two 'persons'?

Originally Posted By: smitty

Quote:
But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. (Mark 13:32)

Jesus is fully God, but He was also fully man. He is referring here to his humanity, but being God He does know everything. He is also pointing the people's thinking to God, so that once they understand that He is God, then they will understand that He knows everything.

You have imposed this understanding on the verse, rather than trying to understand what was said. He said, to paraphrase 'I don't even know, only God knows...' He is telling us that he is not God.

Also, you have used as evidence for Jesus' claim to divinity, the fact that he claimed to be the Christ. Christ is a Greek word which means 'anointed' or 'chosen', it is the Greek word for 'Messiah'.

I agree that Jesus was the Christ/Messiah, this is even in the Quran. However, it does not serve as evidence for Jesus' divinity. Messiah's are a dime - a dozen in the Old Testament. David was a Messiah, Saul was a Messiah, Zerubabbel was a Messiah, Joshua was a Messiah. There are plenty more.

My understanding of all this is that claims of Jesus' divinity are based on verses which can be interpreted in many ways. However, the statements about YHWH are clear and concise, and should be heeded above the ambiguous verses about Jesus.

Also, YHWH is a different word than I AM in Hebrew. Jesus never claimed to be YHWH... This is according to Strong's Hebrew dictionary.

YHWH
3068 Yhovah yeh-ho-vaw' from 1961; (the) self-Existent or Eternal; Jehovah, Jewish national name of God:--Jehovah, the Lord. Compare 3050, 3069. see HEBREW for 01961 see HEBREW for 03050 see HEBREW for 03069

I AM
1961 hayah haw-yaw a primitive root (compare 1933); to exist, i.e. be or become, come to pass (always emphatic, and not a mere copula or auxiliary):--beacon, X altogether, be(-come), accomplished, committed, like), break, cause, come (to pass), do, faint, fall, + follow, happen, X have, last, pertain, quit (one-)self, require, X use. see HEBREW for 01933

The First commandment sums it up. If believing that Jesus is God, or that he died for our sins was so central to the teachings of the Bible, Jesus would have said it clearly, it should be the first commandment. When he was asked how to achieve eternal life, He said that the first and greatest commandment was to love God, then started listing off commandments (just like Moses). No mention of crucifixion, no mention of the Son or Holy Spirit being equal to God.

I hope I'm not offending anyone with my comments, it's just seems like you guys are taking a few things that Paul wrote, and imposing them on the rest of the Bible.