broozar, I agree. I was thinking about this while reading your thread, but what is an FPS really? Isn't it really just an arcade game turned on its side and brought into a 3D context? Doom was really just a super advanced version of Space Invaders. The concept of space invaders is to shoot the enemy without getting yourself shot. The concept in Doom/Quake/Half-Life is the same. New ideas can be introduced, but they should not take away from the basic idea of the game. An FPS, like an arcade game, is all about the skill of the player to avoid getting hit too often and to take out the bad guys.

So, in an arcade game, you progress through levels where the enemies get tougher and tougher until you fight a boss enemy. This was the same in DOOM/Quake. Arcade games are still fun. Doom is still fun. Therefore, I certainly think that there is a place for new FPS games. However, whoever develops it has to be smart. Why would I play YOUR FPS game when I already have DOOM/Quake? Something has to set it apart.

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios