This seems to be a valid point. However, the history of humanity is one of genocide. This is a human problem, not a religious problem. You don't need religion to have genocide. Look at Stalin's Russia, where millions were murdered in the name of communism, or Hitler's Germany, where Jews were murdered in the name of German nationalism. There are many examples from history if we're open minded enough to look.

It's true many people have used religion as a 'justification' to do very bad things, but we need to look at the teachings of that religion if we want to find the real cause.

This also means not taking things in the religion out of context. Yes there are verses in the Quran about fighting and warfare. However, if you read the whole thing, it becomes apparent that fighting is always in response to aggression. It is not legitimate to go fight, unless there is someone fighting against you already, or some other form of oppression which needs to be overcome.

The Bible is a little different, and this is one of the reasons I think the Quran is more reliable (i.e. true). In Deuteronomy 20, God is allegedly giving instructions to Moses on how to conduct a war. In it, the rule is that in any city in the 'Holy Land', the Israelites are to kill anything that breathes. This is a clear justification for genocide.

I don't think most Christians and Jews would argue that such acts are really part of their belief. They probably would say that they applied at that particular time only.

However, verses like that made me really question who actually wrote the Bible. Again, to sum up the Muslim view of the Bible, we believe it was revealed to prophets Moses, Jesus, David and possibly others, but over time the text was altered, whether deliberately or by scribal errors. The Quran is free of such problems, which makes it more reliable.