wow that must be some badass xray cannon. the only 800x600 monitor we had shipped with out win95 pc in 1996. glad we got that out of the house.

designing websites myself, i consider 800x600 resoultion desktops equivalent to a win95 or win98 system, with IE 4, 5 or 6 on it. down to 6 i may go, but even that is unbelievably annoying, making all the extra css and code. not to mention the several shortcomings when it comes to alpha rendering.
the thing with websites is, who is your target visitor. for university sites, it might be appropriate to go down to 800x600. for a lifestyle site, i don't see why this is necessary. and speaking of gamer sites, who usually have the coolest tech specs anyway, why should anyone think of reducing the res to that level?

it's different with games. i hate games that you can't turn down to 800x600 or even 640x480. it won't run on my radeon9600 properly otherwise on my laptop, that's important if it's just a casual game and i don't wanna install it on my big dev tower, plus, i need to run it in a window sometimes. windows that are 1024x768 big really take up too much space.