Just read the links and found myself distracted by the linked page of JCL's quotes lol. Tryed to down the first ack engine but the site is down, I would be interested in seeing how ack 1 handled compared to the first acknex engine I used (4).

You're right that the internet and gaming community was smaller and has changed. It still would be interesting an idea to have an opensay project but on a much larger scale to the ones that requect feedback on our gamestudio projects and showcase forums.

I think the indie scene is the place to innovating within traditional boundaries and time constraints doom and the likes had for first person shooters.

Professional titles have to move forward and can't just refine the basic idea into a well-crafted piece, sales will drive them to do things different, like add vehicles and third person sequences to the game (deus ex 3) to add innovation.

But whether there would be an audience to play an first person shooter which is basic, but well crafted is a question I think about. Free or a commercial venture, it'd be interesting to see if you people would play it to the same level of enjoyment of more new school shooter gameplay mechanics, even if it's limited by the original gameplay from the first shooter titles

I hope this post made sense, haven't got time to proofread lol as I have to head off to the shops to grab mirrors edge half price! laugh