Quote:
You say you are relying only on provable facts, but I disagree. I think your rejection of God is just as emotional as my belief. How can I say this?

I have observed it a thousand times that things falls downwards. That is knowledge. It is repeatable, it is repeatable by ME. And never changes.
I can count a tenthousand times. Two and two will always be four. That is knowledge. It is repeatable, it is repeatable by ME. And never changes.

It doesn't change for me, it doesn't change for any others. It is provable and repeatable. This stuff exists.

That is nothing emotional. I don`t need to believe into an apple that it falls down. It will fall down in any cases as long as there is no other force that pulls it upwards. I also don't need to believe that two and two is four. It simply is four. No matter how much gods or demons i hire to change that.

Okay, you say you have a god here. Nothing at that concept is provable or repeatable. Not for me, nor any others. It's even the opposite. Most stuff in the book that claims to be the proof for the existance of a god is disproven by other facts. Which just can lead to one conclusion: this stuff called god doesn't exist. And i don't need a feeling for that. Just cool thinking.

That is the difference between us. As told, i prefer to know instead to believe smile

Quote:
Let me provide an example:
There is a person who murders people. He murders them and he takes their money and he lives off of this method. He thinks murder is good, because without it, he wouldn't know what to do. Prove that murder is wrong.

For the record, I believe that murders is wrong for two reasons. First, I have a very bad feeling when I hear of someone being murdered. I 'feel' it is wrong because I wouldn't want it to happen to me or anyone I know. Second, I believed the prophets, when they said that God commanded us not to murder.

What we have here is one of the reasons for religion. Humans needs rules that allows them to live with each other without killing each other in the very first moments. They need laws. Religion provides such laws. Religion controlled the people.

That is why religion was once necessary. There was no police everywhere and no equal laws like nowadays.

In that ancient times the scientic knowledge was at the beginning. Gods was the only possible explanation for all those ongoning things. In those ancient times just strong gods survived. Weaker gods simply got forgotten. To be attractive to the masses such a god needs to be strong therefore. The masses just bow to a strong being. They don't listen to a weak god.

That is why a cruel god survived. With the concept of a heaven and a hell because folks prefer easy concepts. A god that kills and burns down whole towns when the people doesn't do what this god wants them to do. Your god of love wink

I personally trust more in the laws of my country than into religious laws. I dislike the ethic that is behind religion. I dislike these ancient concepts that doesn't longer fit in our times.

Last edited by Tiles; 01/03/09 09:43.

trueSpace 7.6, A7 commercial
Free gamegraphics, freewaregames http://www.reinerstilesets.de
Die Community rund um Spiele-Toolkits http://www.clickzone.de