Not run, just re-evaluate. I'm not throwing the Quran away just yet. I trust it more than I trust the explanations of Muslim scholars. They seem to have made a hash of this verse, and I don't want to fall into that trap.

I believe with a clear translation its meaning will become apparent.

However, on the other hand, if I can't find a clear translation, this will definitely put my belief on trial. That will mean that the meaning of the Quran has not been preserved, and it will undermine the whole thing.

Also, if the clear translation, should I find it, cannot be understood in a way which does not conflict with well known scientific fact, this will also pose a great problem for its claim to be from God.

The test will be whether the explanation really fits, or if is forced to fit. I rejected Christianity because the explanations Christians gave for Biblical contradictions were clearly forced upon the text. They did not emanate from the text. To be true to myself, and my idea of truth, the Quran will have to actually 'explain itself', not by 'being explained'. I hope this makes sense.

This has been my problem with tafsirs (explanations of the Quran), they seek to explain it. They do not really allow the text to speak for itself.

Originally Posted By: AlbertoT
Never argued with people who claim to have got the faith but I have alwayes cosidered the Pascal's wager a mean reason to believe on God
I am sure many religious people would agree with me

It's not my reason for believing in God. My reasons are far more personal and subjective, and don't really serve in a scientific discussion. I guess it's an afterthought, which helps to keep me on the path. I don't think Pascal's argument would have converted me, now that you mention it.