I think there is a difference between saying that religion was the cause of those events and saying that religion was used as an excuse in those events. There is no question that many, through deliberate intent or ignorance, have used religion to manipulate or justify horrible things but I don't believe religion can be listed as the root cause of all the evils of the world.

I guess the 'danger' of religion, is the same danger found in any other social, political, philosophical or intellectual structure - they work as lenses that can be used to focus the collective power of a group. Yes it has been misused, and can still be misused, as has everything else, including science, because all of these systems are driven by human beings -some seeking the greater good and some not.

I think if you seek the common denominator of most conflict it is not religion but simple selfishness. Strip away religion and every other cause of conflict and we would be left with nothing but a reflection of ourselves.

Last edited by bupaje; 01/21/09 02:07. Reason: fixed grammatical error on first paragraph.