Quote:
there is no standard in 3d software guis. if you sit a newbie in front of maya or houdini he will be totally lost without a manual or tutorial. it took me weeks to get somewhat productive with maya.

That is out of question. 3D is very complex. And you will always have a learning curve. Even more when you are completely new to 3D. But an edgeloop stays an edgeloop smile

That there is no standard for 3D software is out of question too. But there is some other kind of standard. Blender is the only software i know that officially completely relys at hotkeys. Which is simply not made for everybody.

Quote:

i don't think you can expect to learn 3d software just by intuition without ever having to look something up.

Again consensus. Reading Tutorials and the Manual and asking at a forum is part of the job of learning a new software. This is not what i question.

But i can expect that not every new step means to have a massive battle with the UI.

Quote:
have you ever tried maya or houdini or some other software like that? it would be interesting to hear your opinion about them...

Those are exactly the two i was never able to test. Tried Maya PLE eons ago. That one crashed the first ten minutes ten times. And i have uninstalled it quickly then. I had similar problems with Houdini Free. But here i was even not able to start it. Crash at startup. I haven't even seen the interface. Even after contacting these guys and asking for help we couldn't get it sorted. A pity, i was at searching for an useful bones system ...

I think i had also GMax installed at one point. And got scared by it. But that was this long ago that i am not this sure anymore.

I tried Softimage XSI modtool. No problems with the UI. I tried Poser, i tried Bryce, i tried Art of Illusion, Milkshape, Fragmotion, Wings, etc. etc. . All the stuff you can get for not this much money or no money at all. Always without bigger problem besides the normal first steps hassles.

I had my looks at other software and still have it. Blender stays my all time favourite when it comes to UI problems though. That's simply my personal experience with it.

Quote:

Quote:
Give me at least customizable hotkeys, that would help alot ...

they are working on that right now. it simply wasn't possible to work on that earlier.

That's where the discussion started. Let's have a look how 2.5 turns out. Maybe the current discussion becomes obsolete then wink

trueSpace 7.6, A7 commercial
Free gamegraphics, freewaregames http://www.reinerstilesets.de
Die Community rund um Spiele-Toolkits http://www.clickzone.de