Tiles and JCL
I appreciate your attempts to enlighten me, truely. I have no desire to believe something that is not true.

JCL I understand your comments and your reasoning, but if something that is reguarded as an inconsistency can be given a plausile and reasonable alternative does that not eradicate that inconsisency as being fact.
I stress "plausile and reasonable" which is why I don't want to get into the miracles.

For example, the link you provide has a very good example of what I am talking about
Quote:

Where did the women watching the crucifixion stand?

They stood far away.
Matthew 27:55 And many women were there beholding afar off.
Mark 15:40 There were also women looking on afar off.
Luke 23:49 And the women that followed him from Galilee, stood afar off, beholding these things.

They stood near the cross.
John 19:25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.

At first glance this appears to be an inconsistency.
I guess this springs from the mistaken belief that Jesus only had 12 folowers
as well as the few women specifically mentioned throughout the Gospells.

However
Quote:

Luke 6:12 And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.
013: And when it was day, he called unto him his disciples: and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles;
014-16 ...(The 12 appostles are named)...
017: And he came down with them, and stood in the plain, and the company of his disciples, and a great multitude of people out of all Judaea and Jerusalem, and from the sea coast of Tyre and Sidon, which came to hear him, and to be healed of their diseases;

shows that there were actually many disiples that were following him around and not just the 12 whom he appointed as appostles.

From this is it not plausible and reasonable to conclude that there were other women among the "company" of his disciples?
Is it not plausible and reasonable that women from among that "company" were standing "on afar off" as recorded by Matthew, Mark and Luke?
Is it not also plausible and reasonable that the women who were closest to Jesus also "stood near the cross" as recorded by John?
Is in not plausible and reasonable to conclude that there is no inconsistency here? Both are acurate and true.

I say this from my heart, it has been my experience that examining these aparent inconsitancies in the context of the whole bible instead of as isolated statements always fade away into nothingness.
At least it has so far, which is why I raised the challenge. Maybe someone has seen something that has no plausible and reasonable alternative.
I honestly have no desire to believe something that can be demonstrated to be false

I am looking into the links and examples that you have provided.
Don't worry I am not going refute them all here. I am sure you don't want me to do that!

I will come back with any I find that turn out to be "real" inconsistencies.
I will also come back and report on the whole that I found none if that turns out to be the case.
If i do come back with "there are none", then you can challenge me for my explanation on any specific ones that you want.
Otherwise, thanks for the examples of what you call inconsistencies
regards

Last edited by delerna; 04/08/09 02:22.